Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Live Blog from the ASQ Raleigh Quality in Triangle Conference

One of my favorite parts of ASQ is the networking and what I consider the most valuable networking opportunities happen at regional conferences. For 15 years, the Raleigh, NC section has put on the "Quality in the Triangle" conference.  It is usually scheduled just before World Conference and it brings a very rich set of speakers into a local setting. This is the first year that I am attending.  Fortunately, it is only a 3.5 hour drive down I-95 from the Hampton Roads area.

This year's program provides a wide variety of topics, from a six sigma case study of corrective and preventive action in a metalworking facility, to likening internal systems audits to football.  The keynote, Dr. Terri Helmlinger Ratcliff, talked about her organization's Baldrige journey and the need to "stop at a rest stop" when the speed to Baldrige is in the fast lane.  For her, the need to stop allowed the needed circumspection to move the organization in a better direction.  

Attendance is very good with over 120 people attending.  If the audience demographics is indicative of the state of quality in North Carolina I am very encouraged.  The majority of folks are between the ages of 30-40, a few gray heads like myself and a good number in the 20-30 age group. 

Prime mission for me here is to be an exhibitor for the ASQ Six Sigma Forum as well as catch up with some old friends. Moral of the story, if you hear of a local ASQ conference in your area, attend! Besides, the NC conference, the Southern CA conference in September is very good, the New England conference is bastion of longevity and Dallas/Ft. Worth group put on some excellent sessions. If I missed your conference or you have a recommendation, leave a comment.  I will make sure I mention it in a subsequent post.

Yours truly, hard at work blogging!

Post a Comment