Wednesday, May 8, 2013

2013 ASQ World Conference Post #2

It's Wednesday morning and spending the time packing up and getting ready to travel home after an excellent conference.  Just one disappointment, I did not get to meet Dan Zrymiak, a fellow ASQ Influential Voice member.  I had heard that he was here in Indy but come to find out he did not attend. Oh, well, I will continue to enjoy his blog and will talk offline and share ideas.

My desire for these conference posts is to cover some of the other, less publicized aspects of the wide-world of ASQ.  The first area I want to bring to your attention is the wonderful work that the Social Responsibility Organization (SRO) is doing.  You can find them on the web at theSRO.org. They had a booth in the exhibit hall right outside the ASQ Center and I got the pleasure to talk with 2013 Hutchens medal award recipient Dr. Manu Vora about the efforts that he is working on alleviating chronic blindness in children and senior citizens in India.  You can listen to the podcast here.  Of course, I had to get a picture of the group.

Update!  Dr. Vora sent me a link to his TEDxIITBHU talk this past April.  It is a great talk that talks about the triple bottom line of Social Responsibility.

Last November I blogged about the Dubai Quality Group's 4th Annual Conference on Quality & Business Excellence.  They are a dynamic group with a number of events that promote the quality principles to the region.  I was very fortunate to catch up with the current chair and the former chair and sat down for a podcast with them. ASQ has a partnership with this group and has also opened a local center to serve the Middle East and North Africa region.  

Lastly, I had the opportunity to sit down with fellow ASQ Influential Voice Don Brecken. He is an ASQ Fellow and currently Region 10 Director.  He is also working on a project with ASQ Managing Director Michelle Mason on increasing the presence of ASQ Fellows as thought leaders for the society.  The program is still in its infancy.  Give us a listen here.

The battery is running out of my laptop (forgot to bring the power supply) and I have no one to mooch for power so I will sign off.  It was a great conference.  I learned a lot, got to meet some new friends, catch up with old friends and take away some great memories.  For those who attended, I hope the conference went well for you. For those that wish to attend, I strongly recommend that any ASQ member take an opportunity to visit the World Conference at least once.  Next year's conference is in Dallas, May 5-7, 2014.  Bookmark this link to keep up to date.
Post a Comment